National Media is the company behind many of Australia’s flagship B2B business events. We own and operate the largest and most important exhibitions across multiple industry sectors. Our events enable businesses and professionals to connect and engage with each other, access insights and information, discover new products and innovations, and meet new customers and suppliers. We have 30 years of reputation, experience and footing under us. We’re very well-funded, entrepreneurial at heart, and don’t let red tape get in the way of growth and success. Our reputation and consistently reliable results have helped us forge strong ongoing relationships and partnerships with some of the world’s largest and most recognised brands.
About the role
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Marketing Manager, Marketing Coordinator, Digital Marketing Manager, Marketing Coordinator, Graphic Designer, Digital Executive
Term: Permanent full time
Location: National Media Head Office, 146 - 148 Bundall Road, Bundall Gold Coast, Australia.
The Marketing Director is responsible for leading and managing the strategy, creation and execution of all marketing activities for the company’s portfolio of events. Reporting to the CEO, the role assumes day-to-day management, hiring, and development of the marketing team including permanent, temporary, and freelance staff.
As we embark into our growth phase, the Marketing Director will be instrumental in developing a department structure, process and policies that integrate with the wider business and help deliver a well-oiled, modern marketing team. This includes growing the marketing team with key hires in 2022/3.
Much of our success centres around acquiring our attendees, exhibitors and sponsors through digital channels, and as such a passion for and experience in this medium is essential. Managing the marketing budgets, finding economies of scale, and guiding the business on marketing technology investments will also form a key part of the role.
- Plan, develop and organise marketing and advertising plans, policies and campaigns to support sales objectives for each of the company’s events, including direct mail, email, advertising, partnerships, social media, SEO, PPC, PR, and MTE (Marketing through Exhibitors)
- Support the business growth and development through the preparation and execution of marketing objectives, policies and programs
- Develop a strong understanding of our products and customers and coherently translate these into effective marketing strategies that deliver year-on-year profitability
- Create a data strategy to ensure we can derive relevant and meaningful insights
- Analyse data regarding customer patterns, buying behaviour, and preferences
- Set, manage and review marketing budgets, targets, and deadlines to deliver event objectives in the most cost-effective and efficient ways possible
- Contribute to new launch projects and influence strategic planning and investment decisions
- Managing the overall hiring strategy for the marketing department - interviewing, hiring and on-boarding all team members
- Lead the integration and adoption of company business tools and systems and continuously assess their deployment to improve marketing effectiveness
- Identify areas of growth and/or missing revenues from current business
- Work closely with the Event Directors and Managers providing marketing direction and driving best practices in the management of the marketing processes for their events
- Work closely with the Sales Directors to ensure that the sales team has a pool of qualified leads to target
- Accountability of marketing communications to ensure quality, message and individual brand values are maintained and conversions are optimised
- Drive audience growth, visitor numbers, delegate revenue and overall customer satisfaction (NPS) for the events and new digital products
- Map the size of the market for each event, identify data gaps and devise data build plans that ensure the database represents the entire market
- Research potential demand and market characteristics for new events, collect and analyse data and other statistical information
- Commission and undertake market research to identify market opportunities for new and existing events and associated products
Team development & leadership:
- Ensure that the marketing team is using all marketing tech to maximum effect
- Promote a culture of testing and change to continuously drive improvement
- Design and implement a training program that develops each team member to the very best of their ability – report on progress; signal any shortfalls or gaps in individual team members’ skillsets
- Foster ideas from the team at the execution level to drive performance, whilst identifying areas for improvements at a strategic level finding and presenting solutions to business heads
- Set KPIs and annual objectives in conjunction with business heads for each member of the marketing team
- Conduct relevant performance appraisals
- Provide day to day guidance and support
- Connect and build relationships within the wider business to share best practice
Who you will be:
You have a deep understanding of the global exhibition and trade show market. You’re a strategic thinker with the ability to interpret and analyse data in order to lead the brand strategy of the portfolio and develop marketing campaigns that deliver at all levels. Whilst fully immersed in the detail of the marketing campaign you have the ability to take an overview and question everything.
You are highly proactive with the ability to take prompt action to accomplish objectives and goals beyond what is required, with energy and tenacity. You are an excellent people manager who can develop your marketing team to be the best they can be and make sure that they are equipped with the means to be the best – from technology to suppliers and from ways of working to training. You are also a great communicator and team player who is equally happy to be a coach and a player.
You will have extensive experience at the management level in planning and executing successful campaigns for a wide portfolio of B2B exhibitions/trade shows.
- Based on the Gold Coast or ability to relocate to Gold Coast
- 10 years’ senior marketing management experience with B2B exhibitions/trade shows
- Proven experience in launching new B2B exhibitions/trade shows and building event communities to support these launches
- Experience in driving change and business transformation
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing and growing the marketing function/team
- Astute commercial and business acumen in understanding the impact of decisions on the portfolio and the wider business
- Deep knowledge and experience of evaluating and selecting marketing channels and event technology
- A genuine team player and collaborative in nature
- Strong sense of personal accountability
- Integrity, authenticity and honesty
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Strong budget management, forecasting and business management skills (adept with CRM systems, sales dashboards, marketing metrics etc)
- Ability to quickly understand new industries and markets and to apply thorough analysis and critical thinking to understand how to best serve them commercially and profitably
- Excellent communication and presentation skills – Able to clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas in a manner that engages the audience
- Experience with using CRM/marketing automation tools
Applications accepted: 6 May 2022
Applications close: 3 June 2022